Tuesday, September 9, 2014

MY LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP....WITH SQUIRRELS



THAT'S "SQUIRRELLY THE FIRST" ON MY HEAD.  LUCKILY, NEVER ANY JOHNNY CARSON ANIMAL- GUEST  MOMENTS WITH HER ON MY HEAD!
Usually, I love watching the antics of the squirrels in our yard.  I think squirrels are as cute as can be, and have felt that way ever since my little foundling pet squirrel.  Squirrelly The First was a pet of mine when I was in my late teens.  She was so smart and sweet and tame.  Still, to this day, every once in a while I will see a squirrel that reminds me of her.  It couldn't possibly be her, that was more than 40 years ago.  So that explains the "love" part of my love/hate relationship with squirrels.  Now I'd like to tell you about my current "hate", sort of,  part of the relationship.
TOMATOES - PRE-SQUIRREL THIEVERY
I had been wondering why I was not getting any ripe tomatoes anymore.  Then the other morning I found this.
A SQUIRRELLY PICNIC ON MY GARDEN BENCH.  WAS SHE TRYING TO MAKE ME MAD?
Apparently, the current version of Squirrelly decided to have a picnic on my garden bench.  A tomato picnic!  I was not invited.


FIRST LAYER OF CHICKEN WIRE.  SURELY, SQUIRRELLY WOULD TAKE THE HINT.
So,  I put some chicken wire around the tomato container.  Two days later, there was a half eaten tomato in my flower bed, placed where I would be sure to see it.  Squirrely was in the tree chuck-chuck-chuckling at me when I found it.

I WONDERED WHO PUT A TENNIS BALL IN MY FLOWER POT.  WHEN I LOOKED CLOSER, I FOUND IT WAS A BIG GREEN SKINNED WALNUT!  SQUIRRELLY COULDN'T GET IT BURIED IN THE NEARBY FERN POT.  WAS SQUIRRELLY GIFTING ME WITH IT?  I DON'T KNOW WHERE THERE IS A WALNUT TREE AROUND HERE, BUT SQUIRRELLY DOES.
I went to look at my tomato container, and sure enough Squirrelly had pulled the wire up enough to get in.  OK, it's on, Squirrelly!  I unrolled my spikiest edged roll of chicken wire and went to work.  Round and round I wound it.  I then put a couple of rocks on it where I thought Squirrelly might wiggle her fat little self into the wiry maze.  It would be bad if she got trapped in there.  I stood back and looked at my hideous wire creation, and thought that would keep my little nemesis out.

SEVERAL MORE LAYERS OF CHICKEN WIRE, SOME OF IT WITH SPIKES AT THE EDGE.  THEY STUCK ME!
It looks something like a chicken wire tornado.  Quite unsightly, isn't it?  Well, I intend to get some more of those delicious Early Girl tomatoes before summer's end.  See those two that are turning red.  Ha!  Ha!  Squirrely can't get them now.  I stood there,  the perspiration running down my forehead and back, eyeing my handiwork,  feeling like my tomatoes were now secure within the spikey edged chicken wire tornado, thinking of how good those tomatoes were going to taste.  My next thought was:  How in the heck am I going to unravel all of that wire, without getting stabbed by the spikey edges, to get my Early Girl Tomatoes out of there?

I think I could hear Squirrelly chuck-chuck-chuckling somewhere from up in one of the trees. 
 
Now, if I can just remember where I put those leather work gloves.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, how cute that you had a pet squirrel! My Dad had one when he was a boy. They are very smart when they want something, aren't they? I can't plant a tulip for the life of me - they dig up the bulbs and eat them all. I have to resort to growing them in pots on the deck. (Where my cats patrol ) Oh, did I say patrol? I meant to say, where my cats laze around all day....ha ha! I hope you can find your gloves! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny, but I feel your pain too. Squirrels are the most devilishly crafty creatures, and it is almost impossible to outfox them. I had to watch one scamper so swiftly into my garden, snap off my beautiful, tall sunflower {full of seeds for the birds} and make off over the hedge with it trailing behind him ~ quicker than a wink and all I could do was stand aghast.
    Good Luck ~ you will need it!
    ~~~waving~~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squirrels are cute but they can be pesky too. Hope you find your gloves and are able to eat some of your tomatoes. Have a blessed day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking the same thing.....how are YOU going to get at your tomatoes without scratching yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fun and sweet story. I can just imagine you chasing the squirrels away. They are very clever creatures but you have found a perfect solution to keep them away from your pretty tomatoes. Thanks for visiting me and leaving me your very comforting and kind words. I am very grateful.

    Wishing you a wonderful week.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are cute to look at but, boy, they are so destructive...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So did she manage to get them anyway? Just curious ;) blessings friend

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute post!! I had a good laugh.
    We too have quite the animal stories that is why I could laugh at yours. :-)
    I thought your tomato chicken wire invention was hilarious.
    I enjoyed my visit here with you.
    Joy! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. We know we can't win, but it makes us feel better, and maybe, just maybe, our extraordinary efforts will make some bushy-tail rat's life a little worse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have one that is a constant visitor to us too..and does some cute little tricks that seem very deliberate to me. He (NO doubt that it is a "he") hangs upsidedown in front of our window and watches us while he steals the birds food. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are such cute little bandits, aren't they? I was getting ready to visit an elder friend who did not feel well once and bought some tasty fresh pastries for them in a coffee shop. On the way to the friends' house, we stopped in the park to let our kids run around. I did not even think of pastries which I stuck in an open net pocket of my backpack. Well needless to say, when I was back to my backpack which I left unattended for just a few minutes, the net of the pocket was chewed on and broken, and so were the fresh tasty pastries for my friends. But you can't really stay mad at these cute bandits for very long.

    That first photo is adorable!

    ReplyDelete