Tuesday, October 28, 2014

LEMON THYME TIME


ONE OF THIS SPRING'S HYACINTHS - NOT A GRAPE HYACINTH
For once, I managed to plant some spring flowering bulbs before the week before Christmas.  I planted grape hyacinth bulbs today in three different places to be able to look out of the front door or window and see them as they sprout and bloom during those gray days of very late winter and very early spring.  Am still hoping to get some other bulbs to plant between now and the week before Christmas.  
LOOKING UP TOWARD AUTUMN
It was in the low 80's here today, and since I was starting to get used to cooler weather, it felt downright hot to me.  Definitely too hot in the house to make the roasted chicken and baked potatoes that I had planned on.
LEMON THYME, IT'S GREEN AND LEAFY, CHIVES, AND TINY LEAF CORSICAN MINT
As I was planting the last little group of bulbs, my arm kept brushing against my big pot of herbs. A sweet, fresh lemony scent filled the air.  My lemon thyme was trying to get my attention.  It succeeded.  I picked a sprig off and rubbed it between my hands and on my wrists.  It has a wonderful scent.  Lemony and very fresh.  If you have never grown any lemon thyme, I really suggest that you give it a try. It is a pretty plant and not too finicky.
LEMON THYME, CHIVES, SWEET MARJORAM (LIGHTER GREEN), TINY LEAF CORSICAN MINT
I finished planting the grape hyacinth bulbs and sat down on the garden bench to watch the yellow leaves fall around me and just absorb the beauty of the day.  My lemon thyme kept beckoning.  
CHERUB ON A BED OF CORSICAN MINT WITH SWEET MARJORAM TRAILING OVER HER
It beckoned so much that I cut a few sprigs to take into the house with me. (Earlier this year, I bought a cheap pair of scissors and keep them outside, right by my herb pot.  They haven't rusted yet, and are so handy there).   By this time I was hot and decided that a nice cool chicken salad would be really good for dinner.  I added just a sparkly sprinkle of those little lemon thyme leaves to the salad.  It added just the right bit of zest to the chicken salad.

There are no pictures of the chicken salad.  We ate it too fast.  

13 comments:

  1. That sounds the perfect meal for a warm day! Fresh herbs are so good. Yours look very healthy!
    80 degrees seems a distant memory here in UK, but it is mild and sunny anyhow.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post. We too have been having nice weather here, but it is going to get much cooler tomorrow. I must try to plant some of that lemon thyme. Have a blessed day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muscari are one of my favourite springtime bulbs and such free self seeders! Fresh herbs are wonderful at any time of year, but especially in the later months as fresh garden produce slows down. Good weather is now a memory as the Autumn gales already lash the shores of west Wales, but there are always jobs to do in the garden! ~~~waving~~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemon Thyme chicken salad sounds wonderful! Your day in the garden sounds perfect, too. Hyacinths have the sweetest scent. I like to plant scented flowers - it makes gardening so much sweeter. Have a lovely weekend. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. ... love your post Susie... I love lemon thyme.. I use lemon a lot either in or on my meals.... hope your bulbs do well.. Hugs .. Barb xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your story about lemon thyme, how it beckoned your attention with its alluring scent and ended up in the salad! Now I want to add lemon thyme to my herb garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susie, your plants are looking so lovely, mine have not faired so well, in late summer, I was so busy, i neglected them, as always i am making plans to do better next year. ~smile~ I do grow lemon thyme and love the fragrance, and use it often in my cooking especially with baked chicken.
    Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers for my mother, she continues to heal from surgery and is now waiting for the drs. to let her know the course of treatment for her.
    Have a blessed weekend,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually always have lemon thyme. I love my herbs! I wish I'd planted some hyacinths. Love their color. (And stupid me; I just realized you had a blog! I'm a little short on the uptake...)
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely blog i saw you thrue other blogger...nice posts to read...blessings ❤

    ReplyDelete
  10. you will so love looking out your window and seeing your pretty flowers when they bloom. smart lady...oxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty. I have never raised lemon thyme, but will have to look for it next spring. I do raise lemon verbena, which I use in my soaps. I love lemon just-about-anything, with its fresh, crisp scent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know about you but we are getting snow today. My roses are still in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you dear for joining me, I have joined you as well. Lemon Thyme such a divine scent, lol I do the same thing when I'm in the Garden take a piece and rub it on my hands so as I'm gardening I can smell it. So nice I thought I was the only one. I have thyme all over my Garden regular and lemon love love it. With Love Janice

    ReplyDelete